Monday, October 12, 2009

What's In A Name?


I passed by this street sign yesterday and thought, "I should take a picture of that and then remember to post it on Columbus Day." Then I realized, "Oh yeah. That's tomorrow."

Why a street commemorating Columbus in Paris? Wikipedia.fr tells us that the street was laid out in 1865 and received this name in 1867. I'm not sure if Columbus ever made it to Paris and if he did, this spot, just off oh so chic Avenue Georges V, would have been nothing but wilderness.

4 comments:

David in Setouchi said...

Well, this street is not there randomly.
It's next to rue Magellan, rue Copernic, rue Newton, rue Galilée and a few more...

Does it make more sense now, why there's a rue Christophe Colomb there?

:-)

Starman said...

You may be interested to know that the statue in the center of Place de la République is Christopher Columbus although I can't find any supporting evidence on the web.

David in Setouchi said...

Er, Starman, the statue at the center of the Place de la République is... The République... ;-)

Midwest to Midlands said...

Hi from an American in England. Funny, I just recently did a post about What's in a Name? We traveled through France last month and loved every minute of it. I'll visit your blog again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails