Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Web Thriller

We have the bargain basement cable package and as such we don't get Canal+, the station that invites comparisons to HBO for the quality of its programming. I'm not feeling particularly deprived. After all, we never even had cable in the U.S. and I'm still catching up on episodes of Six Feet Under on video.

Now Canal+ has gone and made a series just for the Web, Kali, and it's free for the looking with new episodes every Monday and Thursday. The episodes are just six minutes long (plus you can pause and replay if you didn't catch the French) but there's plenty of action and a tense story line that involves amnesia, the Eurostar, hand to hand combat, video surveillance, and piracy of new technologies. And while this isn't the stuff of my everyday life, it's very evocative of Paris, right down to the annoying SNCF jingle being played in Gare du Nord. Will Kali remember who she is and what she's doing in Paris? Is she British or French? And just who are the good guys and the bad guys? Stay tuned.

Note: I'd be interested to know whether the series is viewable from outside of France. Most U.S. networks do not permit airing of their content to IP addresses outside the country. Let me know what you find out.

11 comments:

Stacy said...

Yep, I was able to watch it in Italy! So cool. And I get to practice my French! Thanks for sharing :)

Eli said...

just had a quick check and I can see it at work in London - but no sound as we don't have speakers - so will watch it at home tonight.

Eli

debbie in toronto said...

nope...we can see everything but the video here in Canada...bummer

Sasho said...

Petite Anglaise used to talk about watching Ugly Betty (I think it was that show) in Paris online. Maybe she had a trick.

Starman said...

I can watch all the programs on Canal+ here in the US.

chimera said...

Thanks for the tip, just watched the first 2 episodes and it's good stuff!

debbie in toronto said...

maybe it's because I'm at work...firewall and all...I'll try at home

Patricia said...

Hi there - thanks for this! I am able to watch it here in Hungary and have passed the link to my son's French teacher.

Barrett said...

It worked in the US. I live in North Carolina. Too bad I don't know french. It looked interesting. They used the theme music for Madmen in the ad prior. I thought that was interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I knew the annoying jingle you were talking about before I watched b/c I'd been to the Gare du Nord several times this summer. Was fun seeing where I'd just been, and I actually followed the French!

Anonymous said...

While in France my daughter watches her favorite American shows on
surfthechannels.com

This is a consolidating site and you can get virtually any American show "on demand." Yes, you can even watch each of the 170ish episodes of West Wing, all at no cost.

Related Posts with Thumbnails