Thursday, October 8, 2009

In Praise of the Fig


It's the season for fresh figs, something I had eaten before I came to France, but had never seen in such abundance until now. Let me just say that the fresh fig is a wondrous thing; you can eat it at any time of day, savory or sweet, cooked or raw. It's always delicious and not at all like the figs you know from Fig Newtons.

At a recent welcome event at my kids' school, the Europeans were all clamoring for the figs being served with a selection of French cheeses and most of the Americans were recoiling a bit, nervous as to just what they might be. (Although in their defense, the Koreans were even more concerned, mostly huddled in the corner, not sure whether they wanted to try any of it.) "It's a fig," I said, picking up a quartered beauty and popping it in my mouth. "You can eat the whole thing, skin and all." As the French say, "miam, miam."

3 comments:

Starman said...

I have a recipe that calls for dried figs. I've made it a couple of times, but I find I'm not that crazy about figs.

Shelli said...

I adore figs and have been thrilled to find that they are as abundant here in Paris as they are back in California. It's worth mentioning that there appear to be two kinds available in the markets, those from France and those from Turkey. I find the French ones, which seem to correspond with our Mission figs, sweeter and juicier than the Turkish ones.

And nearly every French person I've ever seen eat one peels it first. An absolute waste of time in my opinion; it just delays getting it into your mouth.

How do you feel about the persimmons beginning to appear now? They're up there with figs as my favorites:http://areweinparisyet.blogspot.com/2009/10/fall-has-fallen.html

Shelli

Dan Dx said...

Some experiments for beginners:
-Ardi gasna (basque ewe's cheese) et confiture de cerises noires (black cherries jam)
-Fromage de chèvre provencal, Bleu d'Auvergne, Roquefort et figues
-Chèvre frais et fraises (strawberries)
-Comté et noix
And many more...

Related Posts with Thumbnails