Friday, February 20, 2009

25 Things I Love About Paris: #14

14. Our apartment

I don't like to brag but....We're lucky enough to be living in Paris even if it were in a refrigerator box and doubly so because of the beautiful apartment my husband's employer found for us. To start with, it's bigger (in terms of area) than our house in DC. The apartment is light and airy and has high ceilings, huge windows that open from ceiling to floor, intricate moldings in the main living areas, and hardwood floors. Plus we have two marble fireplaces topped by mirrors trimmed in gold that extend from the mantle to the ceiling. They're not working fireplaces but who really cares? Amazingly, our very American furniture looks right at home in this turn of the century French environment.

I miss our yard with its flower and vegetable gardens, plus having a private outdoor space but I don't much miss raking leaves or trimming ivy. Nor do I think back fondly on trudging up and down from 2nd floor to the basement to do laundry. And remarkably, unlike apartments I lived in on DC's Capitol Hill and Baltimore, we get relatively little noise from the upstairs and downstairs neighbors. Best yet, unlike many Parisian apartments that come equipped with only a water hookup in the kitchen (no appliances, no cupboards, no nothing) and wires where light fixtures should be, ours was a turnkey operation. It's got a few little quirks (like the fact that you can't open one of the bottom refrigerator drawers the whole way because of the radiator blocking the door) but I'm not complaining.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds wonderful Anne...and I love that you appreciate your situation and don't take it for granted...lucky you , lucky family

vicki archer said...

What a fabulous apartment - I am looking forward to hearing lots about your adventures in Paris, xv.

Starman said...

At least, you know how lucky you are that this is NOT a typical French apartment.

lady jicky said...

How lovely your apartment sounds!

Anonymous said...

I hate you ;-)

Jadie said...

may i ask...which arrondisement your apartment is in? i'm guessing, the 16th?

Lea said...

Thank you for keeping your blog. My family is moving to Paris this summer and your blog has been tremendously helpful preparing me mentally for our new adventure. I have a question regarding the apartment kitchens. How do you lease an apartment with no kitchen? We are going to look for a new home in a few weeks and have noticed what you mention in this blog about the kitchen being missing but I can't figure out how you get a kitchen. Why do they rip out the kitchens? Does the landlord put one in or do you pay for it? I'm stumped.

Anne said...

Lea: Can you spell IKEA? Seriously, lots of people I know go to Ikea almost immediately and buy cabinets and countertops and then they go to Darty and buy appliances. Then when they leave, they either try to sell everything to the landlord or they rip it all out and sell it to others who are in the same boat. I don't know why this is the case; it's just the way it is. Some apartments (including furnished ones) are already equipped with kitchens but this is apparently more the exception than the rule.

Related Posts with Thumbnails