Monday, July 28, 2008

Paris When It Sizzles



Just when I thought I had run out of things to write about (witness my last post about the key to our cave), Paris threw me another one.

It was hot today, in the high 80s with some intense sunshine. Now compared to a sultry Washington, DC summer with its unrelenting heat and humidity, this is a cakewalk. But then again, Paris is not really set up for the heat. Air conditioning is hit or miss and people just plain do not know how to dress for it. The refreshment vendors by the Eiffel Tower were doing big business on cold drinks at 3.50 euros a pop (over $5.50 for those American tourists) and the fountains at the Palais de Chaillot just across the river were chock full of people. Some had clearly made the trip to take the dip, including dozens of bathing suit clad kids. But others, including these two dudes pictured below, one smoking and the other talking on his cell phone, must have just been unable to resist the water. Frankly, I find the whole scene a little gross (I can only imagine the bacteria count!) but then heat has driven people to do worse. I think I'll just put my feet up and stay inside for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails