Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Eternal Question: What's For Dinner?



I don't know about you but my kids start asking what's for dinner the minute I pick them up from school. You might think that since I'm not working anymore, I would have the time to prepare amazing well-balanced dinners every night. Reality check: there's an incredible chain of frozen food stores here in Paris that allows you to create this illusion. Yes, that's right...I am in France, with open air markets, a bakery on every corner, and I'm preparing frozen dinners?! Well I love Picard and it turns out that everyone else I meet does too. There's one in every arrondissement and while the atmosphere is somewhat cold and clinical (think freezer cases and clerks in lab coats), the packaging is enticing, the prices are hard to beat, and the food is...well....delicious! Even the pain au chocolat (delicious warm from your neighborhood boulangerie) is pretty darn good.

Some savvy business person should consider translating this concept to the U.S. Trader Joe's doesn't do badly with the frozen foods but their marketing department is Mother Jones to Picard's Conde Nast.

So for dinner tonight...hmmmm. Chicken tikka? Salmon? Minestrone soup? Crepes? I think I'll just put my feet up and wait to decide until after 6.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails